Saturday, June 27, 2009

If you weren't there, you should have been.

Wow! What a magical show last night! Dave played at the Utah Arts Festival with his six-piece jazz band called John Henry. They're great! They have played several times around Salt Lake City but this was probably the best show yet. :-)

The weather was so cool yesterday. It is an unfortunate comparison to make, but the sky looked CG. The whole day felt like a Tim Burton movie; it was so dark and gloomy. At any moment someone in a period costume could jump out and start singing some boring sing/talk song. I was Helena Bonham Carter and the world was my drab playground. A storm was on its way. I went straight from work to the Arts Festival and it was still gloomy but super hot outside. I think most people were optimistic about the weather so they showed up in summer attire. I was excited to hear John Henry play, as always, and I was expecting a great show.

About a third of the way through their set it started to rain. And then thunder. And then flashes of lightning. And then the rain started to come down in buckets! We were all huddled under a tent with a saggy roof. As soon as one side filled up with water the wind would come and dump it down on the poor person standing there and then refill and do it all over again. It didn't take long for people to learn they had to stay away from the sides. Pretty soon the tent was overflowing with people wearing shorts and tank tops and carrying broken umbrellas. But everybody was loving the music. We were all clapping and yelling. It was like a mix between a pub party in Irland and a jazz show on the New Jersey boardwalk in the early 1900's. Like I said, it was magical.

The music kept playing and people kept smiling. The sound guy announced they had to shut down temporarily. Derek, the piano player, had to unplug his Rhodes:-( He's amazing so it was a bummer. But other then that, the rest of the show went on accoustically. And Derek even played his accordian! Yes! I was so mad the I didn't bring my camera. There would have been some great shots.

So, sadly the show ended. The guys all played perfectly. I am constantly impressed with their talents. I am so lucky to be married to Dave and get to hear him and the others play their instruments so frequently:-)

I left to walk to my car right when the rain started letting up. When I was feeling angry with myself again
for not bringing my camera, I looked up and saw not only one but two huge rainbows! :-) It was beautiful! Everything that evening was beautiful. What a great start to our summer in Salt Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment